Saturday, February 8, 2014



NOW HEAR THIS!  

Twitter Math Camp 2014  (Professional Development By Teachers, For Teachers) will be happening just outside of Tulsa OK this July.  Hooray!

You can find out more about this at their website.

I am very excited about this because when I mentioned it to my Principal, she thought it would be a great idea, and that I should invite at least one more math teacher from the building!  Whoo hoo!

But I am hereby admitting outloud, that I am a chicken.  Traveling all that way (yep all the way from the backwaters of southeastern MA) to unfamiliar territory, meeting all these new people whom have been made into demi-gods in my mind, and on top of everything else: being the NEW person.  Oh ugh.  BUT just looking at all the seminars:  egad, I am positively drooling!

So if you read this, and you are thinking of heading out to Jenks, OK this July, contact me via Twitter (@TPalmer207) and let me know.  Maybe my brave-o-meter can move a little more in the right direction!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey there! For the record, I was unsure about going last year too - in part because it conflicted with an anime convention - so I ended up doing a Pros/Cons list. And I went. And I sort of live-blogged about it, which you can look through if you want to get a sense (I'm sure it won't be quite the same this year):
    http://mathiex.blogspot.ca/2013/07/mat-tmc-2013-day-1-reflections.html

    As to this year - actually still a bit conflicted, though for different reasons. But it's definitely worth trying out, at least once, to see if it's "your thing" or not. People aren't as godlike as they appear. I'm sure you'd be able to contribute to the discussions. Maybe Pros and Cons will help you too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Greg on this. TMC is one of those things that every math teacher who wishes to be better at their craft needs to do at least once.

    Last year was the first year for me and it changed my life in ways I can't even begin to describe. One of the reasons why I've been so vocal on Twitter has been because I want everyone to have the same religious experience than I had.

    As Greg said, it's not for everyone, but it is something everyone should try. I know it's silly to say so, but you don't need to be nervous about being new. This is, by far, one of the most welcoming groups of people that I have ever met.

    Just by having an interest, you are ahead of the game! Let us know if we can answer any questions for you!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg and Justin: Thank you so MUCH for your encouragement. Just being a part of this on-line community has been such a huge help. I look forward to meeting many of you in person ("in people"?)

    ReplyDelete